Debbie Dudley Branson
"Preparation for trial is key for success. We understand this and know that there is simply no substitute. Our team’s fervent will to win is an important factor, too."
As a fourth generation lawyer and a respected and accomplished attorney in Dallas, Debbie Dudley Branson has a strong family history in the law and a real commitment to her profession. She maintains a passionate belief that individual lawyers have an obligation to be community leaders, public servants, and forces for positive social change.
Since 1983, she has practiced with The Law Offices of Frank L. Branson as part of an experienced trial team on a full spectrum of cases. Much of her work is concentrated behind the scenes, focusing on litigation strategies that include focus groups, attitudinal surveys, jury selection, witness preparation, and jury debriefing.
“Many trials are won or lost before the lawyers even enter the courtroom,” says Ms. Branson. “Preparation for trial is key for success. We understand this and know that there is simply no substitute. Our team’s fervent will to win is an important factor, too.”
While collective preparation, brainpower, energy, and resources are all important for success, Ms. Branson says the firm’s namesake provides the key ingredient. “The real difference stems from Frank. He brings a bold, creative approach to case preparation and encourages each of us to think creatively as we prepare for trial.”
Arkansas State University, B.S.E. l977, Student of Special Distinction
University of Arkansas, J.D. 1980, Distinguished Law Student Award
University of Texas at Dallas, M.S. 1993
Arkansas State District Courts
Texas State District Courts
U.S. District Court, Western District of Arkansas
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
U.S. Supreme Court
Designations and Professional Memberships:
Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Fellowship member
- Political Chair, Executive Committee (2002-2003)
- President (2000)
- Treasurer, Executive Committee - Officer of the organization directly responsible for management of budget (1996 - 1998).
- Board of Directors - Oversees direction and operation of organization (1994 - present)
- Trustee, TTLA Benefit Trust - One of the trustees responsible for management of Trust purchasing and providing health care insurance coverage for member participants (1996-97). Trust terminated in 1997.
- SMU Law School Chapter Advisory Board
American Association for Justice (formerly Association of Trial Lawyers of America)
- Board of Governors (2006 - present)
- President’s Club
- Sustaining Member
- Vice-Chair, List Committee (2003-2005, 1999-2000)
- Co-Chair, List Committee (2000-2003)
- Co-Chair, List Advisory Committee (2000-2001)
- Key Persons Committee (2003-2007, 1998-99)
- List Advisory Committee (1998-99)
- List Committee (2005-2010, 2011-2014)
- ATLA PAC Board of Trustees (2009-2011, 1999-2002)
- State Liaison, Women Trial Lawyers Caucus (2002-2003)
- Wiedeman/Wysocki Award, 1999, 2003 & 2008
- Roscoe Pound Institute, Sustaining Fellow
Arkansas Trial Lawyers Association
Arkansas Bar Association
American Bar Association
State Bar of Texas
Dallas Bar Association
- Juror Participation Committee, 2001
- Publications Committee, 1990
Dallas Women Lawyers Association
College of the State Bar of Texas
112th American Inn of Court, Dallas
American Society of Writers on Legal Subjects
The Texas Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism
American Society of Trial Consultants
American Bar Foundation, Fellow
Arkansas Bar Foundation, Fellow
Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
Publications and Presentations::
Co-author of numerous articles relating to trial techniques and demonstrative evidence for such magazines as TRIAL, and Litigation and Products Liability
Editor of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association Forum, 1991 - 1994
Gubernatorial and Presidential Appointments:
Federal Aviation Management Advisory Council
Board member, 2002 - 2003; Council created to provide advice and counsel to the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration and to function as an oversight resource for matters under the jurisdiction of the FAA.
Securities Investor Protection Corporation
Acting Chair, Board of Trustees, 2001 - 2002; Vice Chair, Board of Trustees, 1995 -2001; Agency established to promote public confidence in the nation’s securities markets by guaranteeing the return of property within certain limits to investors if securities firms fail. SIPC is a member- financed, private, nonprofit corporation.
Chair, Budget Committee; $73.5 million revenue (2000); $1.2 billion reserve (Feb. 2001).
Chair, Select Committee on Rate and Policy Form Regulation, 1994
Interim committee established to study insurance rate and policy form regulation in the state of Texas including:
1. Effects of changes in insurance regulation previously made;
2. Degree of competition in insurance industry; and
3. Availability of motor vehicle insurance, number of uninsured drivers, and number of drivers insured through TAIPA to determine if certain geographic areas are under served.
Texas Judicial Council (1992 - 1997)
Agency charged by statute with studying and gathering statistics on the organization, rules, procedures and practice, work accomplished, results, and uniformity of the discretionary powers of the state courts and methods for improvement.
Civic, Charitable, Political:
Contributor to various organizations which represent commitment to social and political issues.
Parkland Health & Hospital System
- Chair, Board of Managers., 2012 - 2013. Seven-member Board is responsible for the governing policies and budgetary ($1.2 billion) oversight for Parkland Hospital.
- Chair, Legal Committee, 2011 - 2012;
- Chair, Quality & Risk Management Committee, 2011 - 2012
UT Southwestern University Hospitals & Clinics
- Board of Visitors, Ex-Officio Member
UT Dallas Center for Children and Families, Advisory Council, 2009 - present
Dallas Women's Museum
- Board Member, 2006 - 2012
- Chair, Annual Giving Campaign 2007
- Chair, Nominating Committee, 2010 - 2011
- Executive Committee, 2010 - 2011
- President, 1999
- President -Elect, 1998 (Executive Committee)
- Chair, Nominating Committee, 1997 (Executive Committee)
- Board of Directors, 1994 - 1999
- Advisory Council, 2002 - present
- CEO Search Committee. 2011
- Secretary, 1998 - 1999 (Executive Committee)
- Investment Advisory Committee 1998 - 2000
- Board of Directors, 1995 - 2001
Annie's List Luncheon 2012, Honorary Chair
Women's Leadership Forum (Democratic National Committee) – Texas Chair, 1997 - 1999
Garry Mauro for Governor Campaign, Finance Chair, 1998
New York Senate, National Finance Board, 2000
Democratic National Committee – Managing Trustee, 1992 - 1993; 1996 - 1997
Emily's List – Majority Council, Trustee, 1996
League of Women Voters of Dallas
Dallas County Democratic Party – Finance Council
Dallas Democratic Forum – Advisory Board
Representation of Additional Committees:
National Committee for the Prevention of Child Abuse – Board of Directors, 1993 -1996; Chair, Long Range Planning Committee, 1995; Co-Chair, Campaign for Healthy Families – Board Fund Division, 1996
Dallas CASA – Special Advocate for two foster children
Leadership Council – Campaign for Equal Access, 1999 & 2000
Contact 214 – Telephone Counselor, 1992; Board of Directors, 1992 - 1993; Chair, Distinguished Lecture Series, 1994
AIDS Interfaith Network – Board of Directors, 1993
Junior League of Dallas – Sustainer
Daughters of the American Revolution – Public Relations Chairman, 1991 - 1992; Corresponding Secretary, 1992 - 1994
Recognitions and Honors:
2012 Women That Soar Award (Business) – recognizes women who have triumphed professionally and are giving back to community.
Gayle Pettus Pontz Award recipient recognizing lawyers who best represent excellence and achievement of women in the legal profession.
Inspiring Women Panelist - 2011
Selected as one of the Best Lawyers in America in Personal Injury Litigation - 2012 & 2013
D Magazine Best Lawyers in Dallas – 2011 & 2012
D Magazine Best Women Lawyers in Dallas – 2010
Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters Legal – 2007-present
Women in Excellence Award by the YWCA and Women’s Enterprise magazine - 2007
University of Texas at Dallas Achievement Award – Leadership America - 1997
University of Texas at Dallas Achievement Award - 2005
Women in Leadership Conference, Honorary Chair - 1996
Leadership Dallas - 1994
Nominee for Laurel Award
Married to Frank L. Branson, founder of The Law Offices of Frank L. Branson. The Branson’s two children, Jennifer and Buck, are graduates of Southern Methodist University Law School.